Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath It was a really eye-opening inquiring book. To be truthful, the ending wasn't satisfying. Add to that the fact that I read this book in two sittings and the last 20 pgs after I woke up. The Bell Jar was a fairly intriguing novel, an in-depth look into the Sylvia's craziness (YES, SYLVIA, this is a SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL book.) I found this book lying around with such a queer bookcover, and consulting GRs, it didn't seem well-liked but I read it on behalf of my friend's comment, " If a book has really good reviews, it usually has stereotypes and boring stuff." so I might as well give it a chance. And I did.
I read this for fun, not for school or anything and Sylvia Plath's suicide further added to y curiosity. I can really connect Viscerally with the protagonist and her crazed fragmented life. There are just some people who can't be happy because they simply aren't. I belies Sylvia lived a difficult upbringing in a household without a father figure. Add to the fact she is expected of high deeds and that pressure can be jarring.
Sylvia knows how to write. I felt depressed yet motivated throughout the novel. Not to the point of tear but feeling gloomy and morbid. Essentially, Plath captured the metaphor of being bell jar as accurately to being crazed. Her suicide attempt yielded good reasons to why she did it. It was sad how in the end, Sylvia Plath RIP, still succumbed to her bell jar and committed suicide after writing this tragic novel.