Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Spell Bound - Rachel Hawkins It wasn't as good as the first two books. Taking into account the events, Spell Bound definitely had more action and suspense. However, I felt the plot was too simple and the ending fell flat. The last battle wasn't even a fight at all: it was more running and chanting than attacking. Casnoff and co. weren't as bad as Hawkins tried to make them off to be. The malevolent intent was there and villainous deeds too but everything was solved up wayyy too easily.
What also ticked me off was the superficial romance that dragged on for so long between Cal and Sophie; it was painful to read the outright rejection Cal received. I liked how easy and smooth the dialogue was in book 1 and 2 but Spell Bound really messed it up. Sophie acted immature and I tended to see her witty remarks as obliviousness because her situation called for seriousness and efficiency.
There were some characters I liked but I didn't care to care for them. They were very 2-dimensional and I read many events with a detachment which is pretty weird for me. (I do want to see loose ends tied up so I will anticipate Hawkins's next venture into this world/spinoff. Some closure must be heard from Izzy and the mirror warlock. THis is NOT over!)