Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater I've really thought beautiful prose and artful emphasis was gone until I came across another one of Stiefvater's books. Like always, the writing is amazing and so mysterious. Especially in this book, there was an extra sinister underbelly throughout the whole plot and I felt frightened for the characters. It seems my intuition has proved right for once and there was a bittersweet ending. The end leaves satisfaction but still a lot of curiosity for the next book. The best parts of these books are the curious interactions between the boys and sometimes Blue. Despite the clashing personalities and different family backgrounds, everyone fits into the picture somehow and are intertwined. They have the kind of friendship that makes everyone envious and wish they were one of them. At first, most of them seem careless and guarded but they really grow on you. The characters still need to be fleshed out more since they all look promising and have unfulfilled destinies. However, I really don't care that much for Blue since she's just this girl there with 'special' powers and all the la-dida interesting persona and family. But I definitely want to know more about the ravens boys and their secrets.