Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor I'm at an utter loss of words to describe the amazing roller coaster of emotions and tub-full of stricken surprise this book took me by. My god, Laini Taylor is one of those authors who makes me say,"Now I wish I could write like that." the world building was amazing and fascinating in this book. Even though there were multiple narratives in this story, it never lost steam. I was interested and invested in everyone's story. Particularly Akiva, I really felt for him and I hated how he misinterpreted all of Karous's actions. He's been tortured so much already and it's so amazing how he cares about Karou. Karou was an unreliable character and her personality was a complete change from the previous book; I sometimes like the change, and sometimes abhorred it. Her decision-making abilities are completely nonexistent half the time but when she does make a stand, it's so exhilarating. One of the best elements in Days of Blood and Starlight is the beautiful writing. If I didn't already like the plot, the twists, or the characters so much, the words alone would've saved this book. Laini is a master storyteller.
Some of my favorite quotes that blew me away:
“Dead souls dream only of death,” the resurrectionist told the emperor. “Small dreams for small men. It is life that expands to fill worlds. Life is your master, or death is. Look at you. You are a lord of ashes, a lord of char. You are filthy with your victory. Enjoy it, Joram, for you will never know another. You are lord of a country of ghosts, and that is all that you will ever be.”
Liraz took the flower, looked at it, and then at Hazael, expressionless. And then she ate it. She chewed the flower and swallowed it..."I hope it wasn't poisonous," he said lightly. Liraz just shrugged. "There are worse ways to die."
"...Do you know..." Karou swallowed. Her own cruelty felt icy, spiky, to put it to them like this. "Do you know that they died watching the sky for you?"