Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
A Room with a View - E.M. Forster So I really thought this was a romance book. No, it's more than that. Like Jane Austen, Forster deals with different concepts and explores the strictly confined rules of society. Although initially set in Florence, Italy, the author keeps his integrity and still preserves the sense of propriety throughout. It's so angsty the way others treat the Emersons just because they had different political views and were outspoken. Lucy Honeychurch was a sensible but perceptive girl; she has no illusions that Ms. Lavish is a great author nor any gullibility towards rumors. I knew that in the past, status and title does matter. The money is important so even though Mrs. Honeychurch had conservative views that favored men domination, she would've been considered conventional back then. I loved that Forster told a story that went beyond love and transcended towards a more practical view of caste systems. Even when the spinster Charlotte Bartlett acted frustratingly proper, I understood why she did it. Her despicable behavior against the others were an anathema towards the book. The pages are riddled with snubbing, insulting, and mockeries against people of a lower class. I hated how some of the characters acted unforgivably selfish but some were meant to be hated such as Ms. Lavish. She's the paragon of today's snobby rich and contentious posers. But it was still fun to read about the Victorian era and think about all those social barriers that everyone had to withstand.