Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Beowulf - Unknown, Burton Raffel, Roberta Frank Beowulf conveys a detailed story armed with a full set of vicious teeth and bite. The historical background and the bloodlines of kings is interesting and provides the sense of heroism. All the feats related in this book are typical behavior for a king/warrior. So yes, the casual acts may be shocking but remember, it was all in the past, right? Since I read the poetic prose version, everything was clear, concise and smooth. However, Beowulf: A New Verse Translation was a very quick read and I felt that was it any longer, the myth would've been stretched...the legend is a bit far-fetched though. Such Viking-like hero of Geatland who slays nine sea-monsters with only chain mail and a sword? Of course, such deeds and feats are committed only by the legacy Beowulf. If you like adventure and outrageous tales of paranormal conquest, this book is for you. I really can't account for anything since I read this for school. I basically read not just for enjoyment (like usual) but for the analysis and context this time. If this was not required reading, I might've enjoyed this book farther. It wasn't bad, rather quick and easy depending on which edition you purchase.