Anneumonics

Anne's IntermittentroPolis

I prefer to keep my reviews short but I can't guarantee them to be sweet. I don't mind discussing, analyzing, or raving but I'm just an inherently lazy writer/reviewer.

The Turn of the Screw
Henry James, Philip Horne, David Bromwich
Across a Star-Swept Sea
Diana Peterfreund
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut I remember in my junior year, my whole class had to team up with another classmate and perform a skit person stung a character from two different books. A girl named Pratixa impersonate Katniss from Hunger Games. Her partner Dip (pronounced Deep) Rana was Billy Pilgrim and now that I finally read the book, I think the role fitted him. He isn't as smart as he thinks he is but he wants to be a doctor so he'll probably be filthy rich in the future.
Billy's a horrible character who's wimpy and clueless most of the time. He's not really a bad or cruel person; it's just that he's not very bright. Like Vonnegut said, there's no climax, character development or a storyline. Everything's all over the place because this is a time-travel novel. There isn't a resolution or major conflict in this story and I guess that's why Vonnegut never wrote a scene on Billy's death.
The whole book was not tied up, no problems were solved because there were no problems. Instead, Billy Pilgrim was an unreliable character and readers follow the author's every whim as Kurt narrates the events in Billy's lives. One good thing was, something interesting or completely ridiculous was always occurring, never was there a boring tidbit. Thus, it felt like the book was short and incomplete.
On initial impression, I knew SH5 to be thoroughly absurd. The phrase 'So it goes.' was repeated in every page and it was sort of signaled the conclusion of an anecdote. The last couple pages of the novel was what made me give Slaughterhouse-Five that extra star.